Massage therapy for stress is thought to be able to help with stress and anxiety relief by easing muscle tension and encouraging relaxation.
Stress is one of the most common mental illnesses that lead to anxiety, chronic stress, depression, and other mental disorders.
How Does Massage Help In Stress and Anxiety Relief?
Massage is also considered helpful in relieving stress, and anxiety both, by releasing feel-good hormones like endorphins.
Studies show that massage therapy is for a variety of medical conditions and stressful experiences, which increase serotonin and dopamine.
Reports showed that massage therapy at reducing stress, and anxiety hormones like cortisol, epinephrine, and norepinephrine as well as heart rate and blood pressure.
Studies have shown that massage therapy can increase the production of endorphins (a hormone that release when you feel pain, and stress)
When therapists use their hands on soft tissues of our body through techniques such s rubbing, tamping, and kneading, can release tension and relax the muscles.
Through releasing body feel-good hormones, which is turned into a decrease in stress and anxiety.
Even, several studies have shown that it can help with sleep, release tension, improve circulation, enhance skin beauty, etc.
Remember, that different therapist and their techniques are important it may take some time to take comfort in.
Massage Therapy For Relieving Headache
Yes, massage therapy can help in relieving headaches, similar to releasing tension, through the release body’s good hormones.
According to studies, massage can decrease headache frequency, severity, and duration, which also reduces the need for medication.
Studies, the result suggests that massage therapy can help people with chronic headaches and also cut down on how many headaches they experience each week.
Another study, reveal that massage therapy was more effective in reducing headaches, and enhancing the quality of life than a placebo.
To relieve headaches do this:
- Start with warm oil, then gently use your fingers on the scalp to apply pressure in a circular motion on the scalp.
- Neck and shoulder, where the therapist massage on neck and shoulder area to alleviate the tension and pain,
- Therapists, also use Cranial-sacral massage to relieve tension, this technique gently manipulates the base of the spine and the skull.
Research into massage therapy has shown promising results for reducing the pain associated with the conditions:
- Migraine headache
- lower back pain
- juvenile rheumatoid arthritis
- Fibromyalgia – refers to pain, fatigue, and other signs that affect the central nervous system.
NOTE: massage therapy is not applicable for everyone, especially in certain medical conditions, if you have a mental issue, then first, consult the doctor.
Is Oil Necessary, and How Can Oil Help In Reduce Stress and Anxiety?
Oil is commonly used in reducing friction between hands and the person’s skin.
This allows the therapist to apply each stroke more easily and precisely, which also hydrates, and nourishes the skin (5)
Oil are you used also enhances the benefits of massage through oil aroma, and warm oil, which creates a comfortable and tension-free environment.
Therapists use essential oil, which is mainly used for its fragrance, also reducing tension and stress and boosting good feeling neurotransmitters.
A study suggests that inhaling lavender essential oil is a safe and effective method in the acute management of a migraine headache.
In addition, an essential oil also relieves period pain, because it contains natural pain agents, like antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, etc.
Massage Therapy Benefits
The result shows that massage followed by Reiki application was effective in reducing stress levels and improving quality of life.
Massage therapy has several benefits on the overall body, which include:
- Work as pain relief
- stress relief
- improved circulation by improving oxygen and nutrient delivery
- soften and glow the skin
- improve joint mobility, and loosen tight muscles
- improve sleep quality and quantity
- boost the immune system by increasing the WBC
- improve mental health by elevating mood and decreasing stress, anxiety, and depression symptoms.
- reduce the risk of injury by reducing muscles tension and spasms
- improved athletic performance
- reduce inflammation
However, if you are pregnant and have medical health issues, then first consult your doctor, because it may interact with your conditions.
Deep Tissue Massage
It is a massage technique that is mainly used to treat muscle and skeletal issues, such as strain and injury recovery.
It involves slow, and deep strokes, to the specific target of the area of tissues of the muscles and connective tissue (6)
Is deep tissue massage different from regular massage? yes, regular massage work is on the skin’s upper tissue, whereas deep work is on deep tissue.
Deep tissue massage is not similar to a regular massage, where therapists focus on a deep layer of muscles and tissues, rather than just the muscles on the surface.
It is usually used for chronic pain, muscle tension, and injury recovery through using cross-fiber friction and trigger point techniques.
Risks of Massage Therapy
Generally, massage therapy is considered safe, but some people may face side effects which include:
Feel discomfort: Some people may feel uncomfortable due to another physical touch, especially during deep tissue techniques.
Nerve damage: If the therapist uses too much pressure, or applies the wrong technique that causes nerve damage, so make sure only do it with a professional.
Allergic reaction: If you have an allergy to oil or lotion, then it may lead to serious health issues.
So it is essential to talk to your doctor, first before applying a therapy, massage, cream, products, etc, especially, if you have medical issues.
Who Should Avoid Massage Therapy?
Massage therapy and deep massage therapy is a generally safe, and effective ways to relieve stress, anxiety, and tension, but it not for all.
Following people who avoid massage therapy include:
- If you have an allergic reaction to the oil, then avoid it
- history of blood clots or disorder
- if you take blood thinner medicine
- have cancer or undergoing cancer treatments
- if you have bones issues, like arthritis, because deep massage therapy can lead to fracture
- pregnant ladies should avoid it
- heart disease
- people with certain skin conditions such as eczema, and sunburn should avoid it
- if you are injured or infection, then should be avoided for 48 hours after the injury or until fully treated.
How To Do Self-care Massages – At Home
By yourself or doing a massage with your partner is a great way to relax and bring comfort.
If you doing a massage on the head to relieve stress, and anxiety, then Champi is the best option with lukewarm oil.
Here are how can you do self-care massage – at home:
- Start with lukewarm oil, (which is very vital to enhance the massage power) where you use oil as a lubricant for the skin.
- Use your thumb and finger to apply light pressure on a specific area, use in a circular motion, and strokes.
- when you apply pressure, gradually increase it, then move your finger to other body parts.
- Remember, use slow, deep pressure not too much release tension on that areas.
Drink enough water after self-massage to flush out toxic substances, and also prevent dehydration and dizziness.
Make sure, if you feel pain, or discomfort then stop it immediately.
It is important that care massage is not similar to a professional massage, if you have chronic pain, injury, or condition, then go with a professional.
Massage therapy for stress and anxiety is considered a good idea by releasing feel-good hormones like dopamine, and serotonin.
Oil is commonly used in massage to reduce friction between the therapist and the person’s skin, and also enhance the power of massage.
Make sure, if you have a chronic condition or any other illness then first you should consult the doctor.