Yoga asanas are one the best ways to maintain physical and mental health and have no side effects.
It is a combination of several asanas or posture which is also an exercise but in calm form, which has various health benefits.
Yoga is thousands of years old, and our ancestors performed this because they knew yoga included all vital things like breathing, stretching, etc
There are many studies have been done, which have shown that yoga asanas are the best way to maintain overall health or recovery from illness.
Yoga has many benefits including weight loss, boosted cardiovascular health, improved mental health, good for diabetes patients, etc
If you are a beginner, remember to slow it gradually, do it under supervision, and do it properly.
Here are 10 amazing yoga asanas that I believe can bring several health benefits.
Cobra Asana (bhujangasana)
It is one of the common and universal yoga postures, which is specially designed for relieving back and improving body posture.
Here is how to do cobra Asana include:
- First, lie down on the surface, legs should be straight
- place your hand under your shoulder, as you can see in the picture
- now, gradually lift your head and chest off the surface
- then, start straightening your arms, lift your chest
- straight your arms as far as you are comfortable
- hold this position for a few seconds
- then repeat this process 5 to 8 times
It improves overall body posture, relieves back pain, improves flexibility, and reduce stress level by increasing blood circulation.
If you have back issues, then you should avoid this, and if you are new to this, make sure to gradually start and do it properly.
It is one of the common and popular breathing asanas, where proper inhaling and exhaling are the main focus.
Here are how to do anulom vilom:
- first, sit on mudra asana or a comfortable position
- close your eyes
- now, take a deep breath with your right nostril, and during the breath, your left nostril should be closed with your finger.
- then, hold your breath for 5 -10 seconds, after that, close the right nostril and exhale through the left nostril.
- Repeat this process, now breathe in with the left nose, hold a few sec, close the left nostril, and exhale through the right nostril.
- do this 5 to 8 times daily
It reduces blood pressure, improves immunity, and increases the oxygen levels in the blood, which also helps in reducing stress and anxiety.
Anulom vilom increases lung capacity, remove toxicity from the lungs, improve the digestive system, help with sleep, and help with headache.
It is one of the popular and versatile yoga asanas because it includes 12 asanas like breathing, stretching, pranayama, mantra, etc.
Here is how to do Surya Namaskar
- Start with a prayer pose
- take a deep breath, raise your hands up, bring both hands behind your back, and bend backwards as much as you can.
- now, breathe out bend forward, and bring your hands down to the legs
- now, push your right foot backwards, put down your right knee on the floor, and keep the left foot close to your chest.
- after this, bring your left leg backwards and keep your entire body in a straight line, hold this position for a few sec.
- now breathe out, and slowly get your knee down to the floor, take the hips back and slightly up and rest your chest and chin on the surface.
- after this, make a cobra asana posture
- breathe out, lift the hips to the selling and make the body V inverted pose
- now repeat the same process, bring your right foot forward, then straight the entire body straight.
It has several benefits like improving circulation, stretching the whole body, improving digestion, and posture, good for diabetes patients.
Tree Pose (vrksasana)
It is considered best for improving balance and bringing calmness, where you have to focus on your breath to stand straight.
Here is how to do a tree pose
- Stand with your feet and stand straight
- bend your left foot, now place your left foot on your right thigh, and hold for 1 to 2 minutes
- now do the same process to the right knee.
- during this hand lifted upward and do namaskar
- do this process 4 to 5 times each day
It is good for improving balance, strengthening the ligaments and tendons of the feet, and building the abdominal muscles.
A study showed that doing it for 10 minutes daily for 2 weeks can improve balance, and concentration in adults.
Tree pose can reduce pain. A study revealed that practising it for 15 minutes daily for 5 weeks can relieve chronic back pain.
Child Pose (Balasana)
This asana is best known for its relaxing and calming effects, however, more research or study papers are needed on this.
Here is how to do a child pose
- Sit in the Vajrasana position and then bend forward, and try and touch your head to the ground.
- now, stretch your arms straight or keep your arms on the side, but feel totally relaxed
- bend forward, for some time and then come up breathing in
- breathe deeply and focus on relaxing your body
- hold this pose for up to 5 mint
A study showed that it can improve gastrointestinal disorders, and help with chronic pain, depression, etc.
Child pose brings several benefits such as reducing stress, helping insomnia patients, etc
A study in 2022 by complementary and alternative medicine, reveals that child pose can enhance mood and ease the signs of depression.
Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana)
Setu bandha sarvangansana is one the best asanas to stretch the thigh muscles and core, there are different versions of it.
Here are how to do bridge pose
- First, lie down on the surface on your back and wider your feet
- now lift your hips on the surface until your body forms a straight line where the knee, stomach, and shoulder on a straight line.
- during this breath in and out
- hold this position for 5 to 10 breaths, keep your stomach stable at this position
- now, release, and then repeat this process again
It has several benefits like stretching the hip, and thighs, strengthening the core muscles, including the back, and hip, reducing stress, improving circulation, etc.
A journal revealed by musculoskeletal disorders found that bridge pose can enhance core power and lower back pain.
Another study from yoga therapy today found that it is also useful in decreasing stress and anxiety levels.
If you already have a back issue, then you should avoid this asana or do undersuper vision.
Downward-facing dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
This yoga calms down stress levels and gives you several benefits like improving your body awareness and balance (3)
Here is how to do a downward-facing dog
- Stand with your feet and your hip-width should be apart and your arms at your sides.
- start with taking a deep breath in
- Fold forward and reach your hands towards the ground (if you are not able to do it comfortably then, you can keep your knees slightly bent)
- Place your hands on the ground keeping your back flat and your head should be relaxed (5)
- keep holding the pose for a few seconds, make sure to focus on your breath, and let go of your worries and thoughts.
- Finally, breathe in and slowly lift your back, returning to a standing position.
A 2022 study revealed paper that downward-facing dogs can enhance blood circulation to the head and balance in older adults.
It has several benefits such as increased circulation, stretched thighs, and back, improved balance, and a calming effect by reducing stress.
If you are new to this, make sure to start gradually, and then increase it next level. and do it properly or under a specialist.
I personally prefer this asana because it is really helpful in improving blood circulation to the brain which is even good for healthy hair.
Here is how to do a headstand
- First, stand upside down your head against the wall
- keep breathing
- use your hands as support behind your head to avoid any type of injury
- stay in this position for 5 minutes, do this daily basic
It has several benefits improving blood flow, avoiding heart disease, removing toxins, boosting immunity, teaching balance, etc
Research in 2022 found that it improves cardiovascular health, reduces stress, improves balance, and coordination, etc.
Safety Tips or Precautions
Headstand is commonly safe, however in some cases, it should be avoided, if you fall in this category, then you have to avoid it including:
- Pregnant women
- high blood pressure people
- neck or back injury
- bone disease
- heart disease
- glaucoma (a type of eye disorder)
Triangle Pose (Trikonasana)
It is good for strengthening the core muscle, which helps in balance, flexibility and range of motion. make sure to listen to your body.
Here is how to do a triangle pose
- First, stand straight, and widen your feet
- now pull out your left leg as you can see in the picture
- make sure to inhale and lengthen your spine
- exhale and hinge at your hips
- hold this position for about 5 to 10 breaths, then repeat the process
A 2021 study published that a triangle pose can improve balance and flexibility, because it requires coordination, and balance to maintain position.
- If you have any injury, especially neck, back, or shoulder, avoid this and first talk to your doctor.
- start slowly, and practice under a specialist if are new to yoga
Another study in 2022 found that practising yoga for 10 years included a triangle pose allied with improved bone mineral density.
It is a safe and effective asana for most people, and anyone can do this, but if you have a bone injury then first consult your doctor.
here is how to do a cat-cow pose
- First, start making a cow or cat pose as you see in the picture
- now inhale and make an arch of your back while making an arch head go down or inside towards to chest
- exhale lift your head, tailbone and back towards the ceiling.
- repeat this process 5 to 8 times daily, especially in the morning
- make sure to inhale and exhale properly
A study by Journal Yoga and Physical Therapy revealed that cat-cow pose is helpful in pregnant women by relieving pain, and other discomfort.
Cat-cow pose has several pros including:
- Increased flexibility in the back, shoulder and neck
- reduce back pain and stress
- improve back range of motion
- bring awareness of the breath
If you have any injury or disease, then you should consult your doctor, because doing it may lead worse situation.
Yoga is an ancient technique to bring calmness, relaxation, and power through breathing, stretching, postures, etc.
Make sure to do it properly, if you beginner then do it under supervision and increase it gradually.
It has no side effects, but make sure do it properly to avoid any further health complications.