Wearing tight underwear is an individual’s own choice, individuals may choose boxer, tight, and loose underwear.
There are several research on this, some suggest that wearing tight and loose underwear is good, and some say is not.
It’s ok to wear tight or loose underwear, but make sure not to wear tight undergarments for long periods of time.
Here are some pros and cons of wearing tight UW and some key points that every man and woman should follow.
Tight UW can be suitable for some people, it can offer support, smooth and suitable fit, prevent friction, and build confidence.
Here are some pros of wearing tight underwear include:
Good for Heavy Lifters
A regular gym person should wear tight underwear is it true or not?
Some beliefs said that a heavy lifter in the gym should wear tight underwear because it prevents water in the genitals (1)
However major individuals choose tight and fit underwear because it minimizes friction, gives support to genitals and gives confidence during exercise.
An individual’s own choice whatever your choice goes with them, just make sure underwear is proper breathability.
Is it good for sperm health or not?
A 2018 study revealed that men who wear loose underwear have more sperm levels, but have lower levels of (FSH) compared to men who wear fit underwear.
FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) plays a vital role in sperm production, so wearing loose underwear is good for sperm health.
Basically wearing it for a long period of time, may increase the chance of lower sperm production, and quality.
To promote sperm health, men should follow these tips such as:
- Wear breathable underwear, no matter whether it is tight or lose underwear
- avoid tight underwear for a long period of time
- maintain a regular healthy lifestyle, like eating healthy, do exercise, and managing your stress
- if fertility is your concern, then you should talk to your doctor
Enhance Comfort and Confidence in Some People
For regular use and support, genitals enhance a person’s comfort and increase confidence while exercising.
Tight underwear provides a snug fit and support in every place, whether it is exercise, sleep, etc.
Help in Reducing the Chafing and Friction
It is not necessary that tight UW help in reducing friction and chafing, some people may see benefits and some not (2)
Tight UW may increase friction, especially if your underwear is not breathable, which traps the moisture inside, increasing skin infection.
But if your underwear is made of breathable material, then it keeps your private area dry, which decreases the chance of skin infection.
Here are some tips to prevent friction and chafing include:
- It doesn’t matter tight or loose underwear, make sure the material used in underwear is breathable like cotton.
- Use lubrication, moisture and oil to reduce friction
- if you already experience infection and chafing, then take a break from exercise, and consult your doctor for medicine.
- use a cold compress to reduce itching, friction and inflammation
- keep that area dry
- maintain hygiene which prevents inflammation, and itchiness, and removes infection-causing bacteria.
Cons of Wearing Tight Underwear
Here are some cons of wearing tight underwear which include:
Preventing air Circulation
It also makes it difficult for the genitals to breathe, which indirectly affects sperm production and quality.
Without proper air circulation sweat traps inside the underwear, which increases the infection risk (3)
So avoid wearing tight underwear for a long period of time, if it is your choice then make sure underwear has proper air circulation.
Risk of skin Infection
Tight underwear traps the sweat inside the underwear, which increase the risk of yeast, and fungal infection (4)
So choose breathability underwear that will keep the private area dry and reduces the risk of infection.
Can be Uncomfortable for Some People
If it is your first time wearing tight UW, then you may experience uncomfortable like you wear nothing.
The snug fit and tight may cause discomfort and the feeling of being naked, especially if it is your first time (5)
Choosing underwear individual personal preference, so wear what you are comfortable in.
Key Considerations Points
No matter what’s your wear tight or loose, just make sure the material used in underwear is breathable like cotton (6)
Here are some key points that you should follow to prevent infection, hygiene, friction, and more on are:
- The material should be breathable like cotton, not polyester
- avoid wearing tight UW for a long time
- quality matter
- if you want fertility, then you should consult your doctor.
- keep maintaining your hygiene
- if you experience any discomfort, irritation, redness, or inflammation, then you should consult your doctor.
- avoid wearing polyester, and highly tight underwear for a long period of time
- when you work out, make sure to use tight clothes which are made up of breathable material.
When to Seek Medical Help?
In some cases, you should talk to your doctor such as:
- If you notice any pain, burning, or discomfort, then you should seek medical help
- tight UW may also lead to numbness and breathing issues in the genitals which increase the risk of infection
- facing any skin issue like fungal infection
- if you notice low sperm count after wearing tight UW
- have a UTI (urinary tract infection) and STI (sexually transmitted infection)
If you face any discomfort, then first you should consult your doctor, don’t believe in search, proper diagnosis and treatment will help in it.
It doesn’t matter what’s your type, remember that the materials used in underwear have proper circulation like cotton.
Tight UW is an individual personal preference, make sure to avoid it for a long time, or if you physically active person.
Because tight UW with polyester material traps sweat it creates an atmosphere developing infection and bacteria chance.
If you notice infection, redness, or chafing and if your concern is fertility, then should consult your doctor.