Effect of tattoo in blood
A tattoo is an art done on the external skin or a body modification, done by certain ink, chemical, or vegetable dyes.
If we talk about tattoo effect on blood – If the device used on you is contaminated with infected blood, so it can also infect your blood, which causes:
In addition, dyes and different ink can way bacteria in your body, which can affect your immune system as well.
The danger can increase further if the tattoo area does not contain proper hygiene, this is one of the reasons due to which a tattoo person is forbidden from donating.
So make sure to get a tattoo from a government license or certificate approval shop, which ensures many things – the place is safe, no risk of infection to get a tattoo.
Some restrictions regarding tattoos?
If you have got a new tattoo then keep these things in mind include:
- Avoid sun exposure, alteast for few weeks.
- keep the dressing on for a few hours
- A fresh tattoo is an open wound so make sure avoid dirt, and bacteria, that causes infection
- Make sure avoid soap, alcohol, because these things can promote irritation
- Avoid swimming in new tattoos
- Avoid rubbing
- Applying antibiotics, and unsented lotion to heal wound
In India tattoos are not allowed in some government jobs, it is argued about the country that it can increase the disease further.
If you join Indian Army you should avoid tattoos.
However, In other government jobs or UPSC does not mention that tattoo is not allowed in it. but do not make it in such a place like a forehead, neck where it clearly visible.
Can I donate blood if I have a tattoo?
NOTE: Of course, you can donate blood, But after a certain period of time. and It is not absorbed into the bloodstream immediately.
But, why is said that we tattoo people can’t donate blood? – it is argued that needles are used to make tattoos, which increase the risk of infection in the blood.
However, the tattooed person can donate blood only after certain conditions are:
- You can donate blood after 6 months of getting a tattoo In India. And somewhere after 3 months.
- No infection risk
Many doctors like DR A Zeenat, said that all these things are myths, actually, there are some tests done before blood donation, to see the blood is safe or not?
In 2020 FDA approve that you can donate blood after 3 months of getting a tattoo if you got your tattoo from license approved shop.
However, after how much time to donate blood, this time frame is different in every country.
According to many doctor’s different tattoo ink contains many harmful chemicals such as:
- Red color ink contains mercurous silicate
- Blue color ink contain aluminium and cobalt
- Other color ink contain nickel, sodium, titanium, etc
In addition, if you want a tattoo then get the tattoo done keeping these things in mind like
- The shop should be proper hygiene maintained.
- Their tattoo making device should be cleaned or hygiene proper
- After getting the tattoo done, pay attention to the cleanliness of that place.
- Antibiotics should be applied regularly at that place.
- Make sure the artist used sealed needles to create a tattoo.
When Can You donate blood and when can’t?
Every healthy person can donate blood, even an adult fit person can donate blood again every 70 to 90 days.
You can donate blood if you come across the following conditions such as:
- Weight should be above then 45 kg
- After pregnanacy women can donate blood or when they have stopped breastfeeding.
- There should not be any kind of infection in the body
- Hemoglobin level should be in normal range.
Who should avoid blood donating?
There are varieties of people who are not capable of donating blood including:
- People below 18 years of age and above 65 years of age cannot donate blood.
- Any medical condition person are not capable to donating blood
- Pregnant ladies
- Normal health issues, like cold, cough, headache, fever, or diarrhea.
- Tattoo person, but it can donate blood after 6 to 8 months of getting a tattoo
- Weight loss without any reason
- People who travelers countries can also have to wait to donate blood.
- Excessive smoker and alocoholic person
- If had sex without using a condom or other barrier method
- Had taken unprescribed drugs or illegal drugs.
NOTE: If you taking any kind of medicine or are under medical treatment, then definitely talk to your doctor before donating blood.
Dental and oral surgery patients in a minor case must wait 24 hours before donating, and for major work wait a month.
Benefits of blood donation
As we know that blood donation safe many lives and your 1 unit of blood can save 3 lives. so donate blood.
Here are health benefits of donating blood are:
- Both body and a mind feel good
- Promote heart health – regular blood donation keep the amount of Iron under control.
- New red blood cells are made
- Help in controlling weight
- Reduce the risk of cancer
In India 2016, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare reported a donation of 10.9 million units against a requirement of 12 million units.
12.7 million units were donated in 2020, but this unit was also reduced due to the COVID pandemic (5).
Where Can I find the blood donations center?
You can easily find a blood donation camp or center around you or visit the National blood transfusion council site, where you can easily book an appointment online.
NOTE: Blood donor day is held every year on 14th June, on that day many schools, organizations, etc organize camps to donate blood.
There are many people around the world who need blood to survive they include:
- Thalassemia patients
- aplastic anemia
- Patients in which blood transfusion has to be done every 15 days
- Cancer patients need platelets
- During delivery or Pregnancy
A tattooed person can also donate blood, But after a certain period of time like 6 to 8 months after getting a tattoo.
Many doctors said that all these things are myths – Actually, there are some tests done before blood donation, to see the blood is safe or not?
If you are going to make a tattoo, make sure that the shop follows all the protocols like cleanliness, use of new dye, etc.