Today, we will learn about Kamaranga as known as “carambola”, and its health benefits, side effects, and many more things.
Carambola is a Portuguese word that is first derived from the Marathi word karambal in 1500 AD.
1. Star fruit (Kamaranga)
It is a star-shaped tropical fruit that is sweet to sour in nature this fruit is native to southeast Asia including Indonesia, Malaysia, Phillippines, and the Caribbean.
Star fruit is a tropical or subtropical fruit that could be found up to an altitude of 1200 – 1500 meters and its fruit needs plenty of sunlight and rain.
Kamaranga is known by different-different names worldwide include kamaranga in India, carambola in Spanish, ma fen in China, and balimbing in southeast Asia.
This fruit consists of 5 striped cuts section, which when cut, shows the shape of the star. because of this, it was named star fruit.
In addition, kamaranga can be mixed and eaten with many dishes. this fruit is light green and yellow in color. and also known as carambola.
2. Star fruit Common Name’s
Star fruit is known by different names in different countries like kamaranga in India, carambola in Spanish, ma fen in China, and balimbing in southeast Asia.
3. Healthy benefits
Star fruit has low in calories compared to other fruits. this 100 grams of fruit contains about 31 grams of calories.
Lets us know about the health benefits of star fruit in short form:
- kamaranga (star fruit) contains vitamin C which boosts our immunity and protects us against harmful bacteria or viruses.
- This outer skin of this fruit has dietary fiber which proves to be very helpful in reducing bad cholesterol.
- kamaranga also contains antioxidants that remove harmful free radicals bacteria from our body and help to increase our lifespan.
- This star fruit, plant-based compund have been shown that to reduce cholesterol and fatty liver in mice (2).
- Due to its vitamin B -complex, it helps to balance metabolism in our body.
- kamaranga contains a high amount of potassium, phosphorus, and zinc which control heart rate and blood circulation in our body, which reduces the risk of heart diseases significantly.
- In some parts of Brazil, a state of South America it is used for the diuretic purpose and also reduce cough illness.
- kamaranga has low carbohydrates and high fiber, which is no less than a boon for patients with diabetes.
- You can consume it as a whole mix with salad. some people like to consume it in juice form.
- Star fruit is also known as kamaranga good for reducing inflammation.
4. Nutrition value
Recipe name – meal
Number of servings – 1
|Total fat||0.3 g|
|Dietary fiber||2.8 g|
|Protein||1 g 2% of the (DV)|
|Folate||3% of the RDI|
|Copper||6% of the RDI|
|Vitamin C||52% of the RDI|
The daily value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet.
5. Risk/side effects
Consumption of kamaranga can be harmful to some people because kamaranga has alkaloids ‘caramboxin‘ and ‘oxalic acid’ both are harmful to kidney diseases.
Kidney stones, and kidney failure patients should avoid consuming it.
And so far its side effects are known. if you have some side effects (except kidney disease) then comment.
NOTE: And a question that people mostly ask Can star fruit kill you?
The answer is NO star fruit does not kill you but if you are suffering, and patients with kidney diseases like:
- kidney stones
- kidney failure
- one kidney should avoid consuming it. because its toxicity may cause neurological problems.
Or some study shows that regular consuming kamaranga causes kidney problems. so avoid daily contact.
6. How can you eat it with (piquant) taste?
I too have tasted it a lot in my school time (but not daily 2 times a week) with an absolutely choppy taste.
So in this, I will tell you their roadside yummy recipe that I tasted during my school time.
- First, take a kamaranga and cut it in between.
- After separating, add Kala namak (black salt) to it for a piquant taste, as per your taste, and mix it well.
- And your spicy dish is now ready.
Star fruit is a tropical or subtropical fruit.
Kamaranga in India has low carbohydrates and high fiber, which is no less than a boon for patients with diabetes.
You can consume it as a whole mix with salad. some people like to consume it in juice form.
If you are suffering, and patients of kidney diseases like a kidney stone, kidney failure, and one kidney should avoid consuming it.