The Alum (Phitkari) that you must have seen putting your father on his face during shaving in childhood, which is white in colour.
Phitkari is one of the most common home remedies for removing unwanted hair, especially for girls, healing wounds, and also reducing toothache.
So today’s topic will tell you about phitkari uses, its health effects, safe for the long term, and other questions.
What is Alum (Phitkari)?
An Alum is a type of chemical compound, whose normal chemical name – is “Potassium aluminium sulfate”, and it’s colourless and odorless.
It occurs naturally in different minerals, like the alunite, kaolinite, and leucite minerals, which can be treated with sulfuric acid to acquire crystals of the Phitkari.
It very well may be found in crystalline or powder form.
Alum is gotten from the word alumen, and Bauxite is used to produce alum, which is then used to produce aluminium.
These alums are named by the monovalent cation. and there are main important alums are:
- Potassium alum (KAl(SO4)2·12H)
- Ammonium alum (NH4Al(SO4)2·12H2O)
- Sodium alum (NaAl(SO4)2·12H2O)
What Is Used For?
Phitkari is used for various purposes, such as In medical, household, and industrial purposes, which is Why most people want to know about its uses which include:
In cooking: Alum is a food-added substance that is great for pickling and canning. it makes fresh cured fruits and vegetables.
Although, it’s approved as a food additive, in large doses, can be toxic for you.
In sexual activity: It is said that it tightens the vaginal and boosts sexual activity, but You should never use it in the vagina because it is a chemical that may irritate the vagina.
Other uses of Alum
- Used as a remove unwanted hair
- Commonly used in water purification to drink water
- Applied after shaving to prevent cuts and bleeding, alum works as an antiseptic.
- Best home remedy for tooth pain
- Used for acne, and pimple removal, because it has astringent property, which helps to remove bacteria, and dirt from the skin.
- Helps to control the symptoms of whooping cough
- Used in many kinds of toothpaste to prevent teeth problems
How is Alum Formed?
It can easily be produced by precipitation from a watery solution.
NOTE: When aluminium sulfate and potassium sulfate are dissolved in the water, and afterwards, upon dissipation, the alum takes shape out of the solution.
How is it used?
As we know that phitkari is used for many purposes, and here you will know about how to use phitkari for multiple purposes which include:
Phitkari acts as a coagulant that attracts and binds with extremely fine and small particles to form a large particle.
It is an ancient Ayurveda solution, which is great for treating acne, and pimples.
- Take 1 tablespoon of alum powder
- Add 1 tablespoon of water, or use rose water to make it paste.
- Then, apply it on your acne, and pimple areas, leave it to dry, and then wash it off.
Who will know more about alum after shaving than your father, even then, after shaving use alum, which is excellent for healing cuts.
For removal of unwanted hair
This is one of the popular methods to remove unwanted hair, especially in girls, but how to use it? upper lips, chin, etc.
- Take a 1/2 tablespoon of alum powder
- Then, add 1 tablespoon of little warm water or you can use rose water
- To apply this, take a cotton piece, dip into it, and apply it in the downside direction, leaving it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Do this twice a day, for 2 to 3 months, for the best result.
It is an ancient, and most popular in India for toothache, which I have personally seen on my dad, and it really works.
- Take a pinch of alum powder, and put it into the affected teeth
- The second way – is alum powder, mix with warm water and Rinse this water for 30 seconds, it really manages your tooth pain.
For Skin Whitening
Yes, phitkari helps in skin whitening because of its astringent properties which are used to remove excess oil and makeup, which helps to lighten the colour of the skin.
Long-Term Health Effect
Some amount of Phitkeri is good, but not for regular use, it can reduce hair growth if you apply it to your own hair for the long term.
Burning is normal in alum after shaving because it contains antiseptic and astringent properties.
However, alum causes irritation in the skin, which is common, but if it is inhaled, it may cause issues, like headaches, and stomach problems.
If you have an allergic reaction, then you should first consult the doctor before using it, because it may interact with your condition.
Also, It is not approved by the Safety and health administration.
If you have seen these side effects, then avoid using it:
Infrequent side effect
- Skin irritation is normal, but in some people it becomes serious
- dry skin
- prickly sensation on the skin
NOTE: If you face some discomfort or any irritation, then immediately avoid using it, if it still irritates you, after leaving it, consult the doctor.
It is used for acne, and pimple removal because it has astringent property, which helps to remove bacteria, and dirt from the skin.
Phitkari is one of the most common home remedies for removing unwanted hair, treating acne, and pimples, healing wounds, etc.
Burning is normal after applying alum in shaving because it contains antiseptic and astringent properties. but don’t inhale it.