Sperm health or semen is a vital part of the male reproductive system, and that created in each testicle.
It is specially designed so that it travels and fertilizes a female egg, as a result of pregnancy.
Sperm is about 50 micrometres long, and has a head (containing DNA) midpiece (provides energy to sperm) and tail (helps in travel)
The main work of semen is to fertilize a female egg, which travels a lot of connections with the egg, then it does its work, this process is called fertilization.
How could sperm health impact men’s lives?
Yes, if your sperm health is poor, then it definitely affects your sperm health, but what things or factors affect sperm health?
Here are some factors that affect sperm health include:
- Age: after 40 men’s semen concentration, and volume decrease year by year.
- Medical condition: Medical situations such as diabetes, thyroid, or medicines for a long time can affect sperm health.
- Lifestyle factors: excessive alcohol, smoking, and abuse of drugs negatively affect your health.
- Pollution: People have to stay long in heated places, areas or environments, and pollution can negatively affect sperm health.
Now, how these factors or things can impact men’s lives include:
- Negatively impacting their fertility leads to low sperm count
- impact their self-esteem and confidence
- create relationship issues as a result of shame, blame, breakup, etc
- impact their health negatively
- difficult to plan their family’s future
If you have any concerns or difficulty in planning the future, then you should consult your doctor, before it becomes severe.
How do you check Sperm health?
There are several ways to check sperm health, however in the medical field there are several ways, but how can at home?
Check your Libido
Low libido also known as “low s*x drive” is generally common with increasing age in both women and men.
But before a specific age, it definitely creates problems in sperm production, and health and impacts your relationship also.
According to the NHS, and social life survey, 31% of men between the ages of 18 and 59 experience sexual dysfunction.
Men’s low libido is affected by many reasons such as:
- low testosterone level
- excessive masturbation
- medicines, which you have been using for a long time
- excessive alcohol, and tobacco use
But you can easily boost your low libido by adopting a healthy lifestyle such as:
- Physical exercise, like yoga
- eat healthy diet like adding fruits, and green vegetables in your diet
- quit drugs
- reduce the stress level by doing deep breathing exercises
Check your Semen
Examine your semen after ejaculation, it will be white-yellow and grey in colour and no blood in your sperm which indicates healthy sperm.
if you see that your semen has blood, and clots, is thin, and more watery then it is a sign of unhealthy sperm.
Even if after consuming a healthy diet or doing exercise, you see unhealthy semen, then you should consult to doctor.
Do you know that a large testis size produces more sperm, so testicle size matters in terms of producing sperm.
Small testicle size produces low sperm production, but it’s seen that small testicles can also produce healthy sperm.
A study found that men with lower than the 25th percentile of sperm count are considered low sperm count, and those above the 75th PC are considered high sperm count.
So it becomes vital to check your testicle size, if it is small then consult your doctor, as it may indicate an underlying medical condition.
If you daily exposed to extreme heat daily or work in an extremely heat environment for a long time, then it negatively impacts your sperm total.
The perfect temp for healthy sperm is 32 to 35 degrees Celsius, more than that can reduce the sperm count, density, etc.
So if you work in extreme heat temp, then make sure to cover yourself properly with watery clothes, or keep your body hydrated.
Here are some additional tips for improving sperm health naturally:
- Eat a healthy diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Avoid processed foods, sugary drinks, and excessive amounts of caffeine and alcohol.
- Exercise regularly, but avoid strenuous exercise in the hours leading up to ejaculation.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Get enough sleep.
- Manage stress levels.
- Avoid exposure to environmental toxins, such as pesticides and heavy metals.
Check your Lifestyle
Definitely, an unhealthy lifestyle highly impacts your sperm health, but what does an unhealthy lifestyle mean in this:
- Consuming too much unhealthy food, street, processed food
- exercise regular
- avoid smoking
- do not consume excessive alcohol intake
- face sleep deprivation due to sleep disorders like insomnia, and sleep apnea
- stress level
If you fall in this category then you should avoid or quit them completely, because it can destroy your overall health.
In case of medical concern, talk to your doctor, with proper diagnosis and treatment it help in this.
Here are some other things or tips that can improve your sperm quality and quantity naturally include:
- Take enough sleep throughout the day
- do regular exercise
- avoid processed, junk food
- avoid excessive masturbation
- manage your stress level
- eat healthy diet
- add omega-3 fatty acids to your diet which you can get from fatty fish such as salmon, etc
- avoid exposure to extreme heat
- control your excitement it leads to pre-ejaculation.
Healthytalk8 do not consider any medicine or supplement, because it may disturb your overall sperm quality and quantity
Testosterone has been linked to our libido, but make sure to maintain your T level or boost naturally through exercise, etc.
After checking semen health make sure to avoid those things that impact your sperm health like excessive alcohol, smoking, etc.
If you notice any discomfort in a private area, then you should consult your doctor it may be a warning sign.