Home remedies to get fast relief from back pain are the best alternative to medicines, and I think, most people, who suffer from back pain, should try it first.
Back pain is most of the common medical problems, which almost every person must have felt at some point in their life.
Lower back pain is most commonly seen, which is being seen in a lot of today’s youth, due to heavy workload, sitting most of the time, whether its job or home.
It might be happening due to lifting heavyweight, wrong sitting, sleeping or standing posture, stress, poor bone density, sitting for a long time, etc.
Back pain is defined as:
- Chronic when the pain remains for longer than 3 months (1)
- Acute back pain is pain that remains for less than 6 weeks (2)
Here are some possible home remedies to get fast relief from back pain, for all ages.
I think this remedy is one of the most recommended by therapists, or doctors for back pain people because lack of exercise is highly linked to weak muscles.
Even, various medical literature suggests that exercise can neutralize or reduce the effect of future back injuries (3)
It strengthens the overall back, and leg muscles, which will support the spine, and prevent low bone density, which is associated with relieving back pain.
Here are some specifical exercises for back pain are:
- Aerobic exercise includes – cycling, walking, running, swimming, etc.
- Strengthen training such as – pilates, tai chi, etc.
- Stretching such as – yoga
Exercise not only helps in back pain, but it also relieves stress, boosts stamina, and increases overall physical performance, so do exercises for at least 1 hour daily.
It acts as a therapeutic tool to improve back flexibility and strength.
However, if your pain is severe, and home remedies are not working, then you must consult the doctor, which will treat you according to the severity level.
Massage yourself or somebody else, it can give some relief to some extent.
If the pain is not gone, then the doctor may give you some medicine.
NOTE: Only no massage will help in healing the disease. it can be an adjuvant along with regular exercises, etc.
How to give massage for back pain
- A therapist can tell you to lying on your stomach, with a pillow under the hip and pelvis area, it helps prevent any pressure in the low back.
- Can also add a roller under your ankles, which enhances the lying position, and will give a better feeling.
- If you want an oil massage, then the therapist is using oil to spreads on the person’s lower back with smooth strokes from their hands.
NOTE: Massage guns also help relieve muscle, inflammation, tightness, or stiffness in your low back.
A lot of research has shown this really helps with the delayed onset of muscles soreness.
DOMS can cause muscle pain for 24 hours after a hard workout.
NOTE: Make sure to talk to the massage specialist, who has years of experience treating pain with massage.
It is one of the most effective tools for reducing back pain, by improving muscle and joint flexibility (4). so add yoga to your lifestyle.
A study showed that yoga or physical therapy for 1 year, shown improvement in participants with chronic back pain, and less chance to use pain medicine after 3 months.
Here are some yogas asanas, which you should also try are:
- Cobra pose (Bhujangasana)
- Locust Pose (Shalabhasana)
- Bow pose (Dhanurasana)
- Wind-relieving pose (Pawanmuktasana)
- Bridge pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana)
- Child pose (Balasana)
NOTE: All these asanas in the morning on an empty stomach anyone can do it. it’s great relief from the pain. And make sure your mind should be relaxed.
Even, the purpose of yoga is to create strength, awareness, and harmony in both the mind and body.
Other health benefits of yoga include:
- Promote heart health
- Improve flexibilty, strength, balance
- Support joints
- Help in better sleep, by relaxing you
- Keep you away from diseases
It is a traditional method dating back many years from China, to improve the flow of energy.
Acupuncture involves the insertion of thin needles through your skin at the affected points of your body. which leads to relieving back pain.
Based on several studies, acupuncture is more effective in pain relief and functional improvement, without additional treatment (7).
Hot and cold therapy
You may hear about it many times that hot and cold therapy, are very helpful in relieving pain.
Heat therapy – This helps in releasing muscle tension, and tightness, which causes muscle spasms, and pain.
Also, Repairs damaged tissues and improve the elasticity of tissue and connective tissue. And heat therapy is only helpful for the first week (9).
Ice pack – It is usually good for inflammation. The therapist can suggest cold and heat treatment for 15 to 20 minutes at a time.
Other health benefits of hot and cold water including:
|Help in increasing the weight loss||Relieves the nasal discomfort|
|Stimulates the immune system, but not too much cold||It stimulates the metabolism|
|Lock the moisture in your hair||Open skin pores, and scalp pores|
|Help the muscle to recover fast||Help in reducing fatigue and relaxing our muscles|
|Tightens the skin||Reduce headaches which boosts stress and anxiety level|
|Increase Alertness||Help in digestion, and remove waste, so drink warm water in the morning|
But this is a temporary pain relief solution, but adding a few things in it which will save you from back pain in the future such as:
- Exercises daily
- Avoid long time sitting, so every 30 minute, take a walk
- If you are not capable to lift heavy weight, then avoid it.
- Eat rich calcium, and vitamin D foods
Take enough sleep
Sleeping or proper bed rest, once a key part of treating back pain, has a limited role in healing sore backs (10).
How to sleep in a comfortable position, which will prevent worse back pain symptoms. include:
- Make sure sleep on good mattress
- Lying on your side in a fetal position
- It would be better to sleep on the stomach
- Lying on your side with a pillow supporting your knees
These positions prevent your back pain from triggering by putting minimal pressure on your back, especially on the discs, ligaments, and muscles.
There is no specific food that is healthy for the back. so whatever contains more calcium like milk, or non-veg food is linked to healthy bones.
NOTE: Add a balanced diet to your daily meal, such as carbs, fat, fiber, minerals vitamin, and water. And don’t over-consume.
There is food many varieties that contain anti-inflammatory agents, that can be used to reduce back pain.
- Green leafy vegetables
- Add Calcium in your diet, lack of calcium are main reason for low bone density.
- Take proper vitamin D which necessary for strong bones and muscles. And sun is best source of vitamin D.
- Dark choolcates
- Milk and Curcumin found in turmeric
- Green tea
NOTE: This food is excellent for old age people, especially for calcium, and vitamin D because old people have low bone density.
But consumed in moderate amount, because these all are high in fat, which increases the body weight, that will go against the disc health.
Herbs or supplements are also used for back pain., even studies reveal that herbs reduce back pain as compared to placebo.
NOTE: Talk to your doctor before starting any herbal medicines, because certain medicines may interact with Ayurveda drugs.
Food to avoid
- Sugar drinks include – fruit juices, cola, soft drinks
- Processed meat
- Excess alcohol
- Junk food
- Refined carbs such as white pasta, white bread
- Avoid smoking, can block your tiny arteries supplying to your backbone or muscles, and increase inflammation.
Pain Relievers medicines
If your pain does not go away with these homemade remedies, then your need to talk to a doctor who can give some prescribed medicine to reduce the pain.
Here are some common drugs, which the doctor can suggest to you. which include:
- Over the counter (OTC) medicines
- Anti-inflammatory drugs – It gives relief from inflammation causes due to back pain.
- Muscle relaxants – This typically induces grogginess or sleepiness, so avoid while driving
NOTE: If the case is severe, then other treatments depend on your symptoms or conditions. for example – surgery may need in rare cases.
Some other ways to manage back pain
- Keep moving, especially those who sit for a long time, do need to walk after every 30 minutes.
- Maintain good posture
- Do stretch exercises
Foods is an excellent way to prevent back pain in all age, especially green leafy vegetables, calcium, and vitamin D, which has a connection to bone.
Several studies reveal that acupuncture is more effective in pain relief and functional improvement, without additional treatment
Yoga is one of the most effective tools for reducing back pain, by improving muscle and joint flexibility.